Meet Boise City Council Member Ben Quintana. This 36 year old made our list as one of Boise most intriguing people. He is community oriented and someone to continue to keep an eye on! We had a short question and answer session about what makes Boise so great and what makes him so interesting!
Q: Give us three things that most people probably don't know about you.
A: 1) Rap/Hip-Hop is by far my favorite music,
2) I'm half Puerto Rican,
3) When I was a kid I had a pet turtle, until he (Myrtle) ran away.
Q: Who inspires you and for what reason?
A: People who work to make our world a better place: volunteers, first responders, care givers, service men and women, entrepreneurs, and educators. In addition, people who overcome adversity, follow their dreams and choose to succeed despite facing incredible odds inspire me.
Q: List a few of your favorite things: -Anything from food, movies, actors, songs, etc…
A: 1) Taking long walks with my wife and two dogs on the Boise Greenbelt and hikes in the foothills,
2) BBQ chicken pizza,
3) Public speaking,
4) Studying and practicing leadership,
5) Pandora (music),
6) Apple products (all of them),
7) Sleeping in,
8) Macallan 12 on the rocks,
9) My "Boise" Proof Wooden Sunglasses, and
10) College Football.
Q: Where is your favorite place to go for Boise's Best Burger?
A: The black bean and sweat potato burger at Bittercreek tops my list of burgers in Boise.
Q: If you have out of town guests where are the must see places or things to do in Boise?
A: 1) Take a walking tour of downtown – everyone is surprised by how vibrant and clean Boise is,
2) Show off the North End neighborhood's Harrison Blvd. and Hyde Park,
3) Show off the Harris Ranch area in East Boise (where I live) and talk about future plans,
4) Attend a game, performance or event: BSU football game on the Blue Turf, Shakespeare Festival (walk or ride bikes from my house), attend a concert at the Idaho Botanical Garden, walk through downtown on First Thursday, or walk through the Saturday Markets.
Q: What do you consider the Best View of Boise?
A: The ride down from the top of Shane's Loop trail in the Boise Foothills.
Q: What is something on the Boise City Council agenda that you are excited for?
A: The June budget planning workshops and our regular strategic planning meetings. These are key opportunities for the council to set direction and allocate the public's resources to support the city's most important priorities.
Q: Boise has grown significantly in the last few years, and is continuing to grow. Where would you like to see this city in the next 5 to 10 years?
A: I want to see Boise become more economically competitive as a city. In many ways, Boise is well on its way to becoming one of the most livable cities in the country. Our local economy, however, is not growing in a sustainable direction. In 5 to 10 years, or hopefully sooner, Boise must attract, develop and grow a talented workforce-ready population, high-growth companies, and high-wage jobs to keep our city economically competitive and viable in the future.
Q: What are the first 3 artists/ songs that come up on your Ipod?
A: 1) Journey – Separate Ways (Worlds Apart),
2) Mobb Deep – Put 'Em in Their Place,
3) Q-Tip – Vivrant Thing.
Q: What is your favorite quote? Or words to live by?
A: 1) Be the change you wish to see.
2) You reap what you sow.
3) Strive for continuous improvement, not perfection.
4) Whether you think you can, or think you can't – you're right.
Q: As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A: I don't remember knowing the answer. I do remember, however, that I believed I was meant to do something important and make a significant difference in the world.